Do you want to brighten up someone’s day? Make them this Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake.
Do you want to make your taste buds sing? Make yourself this coffee cake.
Do you want to brighten up someone’s day and make your taste buds sing? Make this cake and give half to a friend and keep the other half for yourself.
This is exactly what I did yesterday.
My mom and dad received one half and the other half stayed here in the house. Everyone enjoyed the heck out of this cake except for me. I only had a bite.
For this weight loss surgery gal (yes, me), more than a bite can be a problem. Especially when a cake tastes this good.
So what do I do? I hide it in the fridge. I urge my husband to eat more cake.
And even though I can’t have any, I’m thrilled with how I feel when I watch others enjoy it. I guess what I’m saying (if you haven’t figured it out by now), just. make. this. cake.
The crumb topping is divine by the way.
While this recipe calls for apple pie filling, you could certainly substitute blueberry, raspberry, or cherry.
If you want to add another layer of decadence, serve this Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake while still warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Oh my yum.
A moist and tasty cannamon coffee cake with delectable crumb topping.
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 1 21 ounce can of apple pie filling
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- CRUMB TOPPING:
- 1 cup of flour (all purpose or unbleached)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter (use refrigerated, not room temp)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a non-stick 9 x 13 baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, oil, water, and eggs. Mix until throughly combined.
- Pour the cake mix into the baking pan, spreading evenly.
- Layer the apple pie filling on top of the cake--spreading out evenly.
- Add the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt to a bowl. Combine with a spoon.
- Cut slices of butter into the bowl. Using clean hands, combine the mixture until everything starts to clump together (this can take 5-10 minutes).Once it resembles crumble, sprinkle evenly over the apples/cake.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Cake is done when a fork or toothpick comes out clean.
- Optional: Lightly sprinkle the top of the cake with powdered sugar.
You can serve this coffee cake warm or cold. Tip: It tastes amazing served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a cup of coffee!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you’re looking for more recipe goodness, check these out: