Double Chocolate Monster Cookies
Earlier this month, I took a three week break from all things blogging. During that time, my granddaughter stayed with me while her mom focused on mid-term exams. I played, I laughed, and I watched a whole lot of kids shows. There was Puppy Dog Pals, Sofia the First, Monsters, Inc., Despicable Me, and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (just to name a few). I soon discovered two things: my granddaughter loves puppies and she’s fascinated by minions and monsters.
Today’s recipe, Double Chocolate Monster Cookies were inspired by the colorful, funny, and imperfect monsters that my granddaughter loves so much. Grown-ups, you’ll love that this recipe requires no baking and involves a few simple steps. Simple and no baking involved? Yeah, count me in.
Because this recipe involves melting chocolate, you’ll need a 12 cup muffin pan which gives the cookies their nice circular shape. For years I’ve been using this muffin pan from Wilton and it’s my absolute fave. It has a non-stick coating and it’s easy to clean. The 5 year warranty is awesome too.
Note: If you don’t want to use candy eyeballs you don’t have to but the eyeballs are what give the cookies that monster vibe thingy. You can find the candy eyeballs needed for this recipe here and here.
- 2 4oz baking bars (white chocolate)
- 2 4oz baking bars (semi-sweet or milk chocolate)
- 12 OREO cookies
- 1/3 cup broken pretzel pieces (can adjust amount to taste)
- food coloring (colors are up to you)
- candy eyeballs
- Lightly spray the muffin pan with non stick cooking spray.
- Melt one of the 4oz semi-sweet (or milk chocolate) baking bars in the microwave. Tip: microwave for 30 seconds, stir, and continue until melted. If chocolate gets thick, add a teaspoon of water or vegetable oil.
- Place a heaping spoon full of melted chocolate into the bottom of each muffin cup. Tip: one 4 oz bar will fill up six muffin cups.
- Before the chocolate starts to harden, add one OREO cookie to each muffin cup by setting on top of the chocolate.
- Repeat steps 2-4 until all muffin cups are filled.
- Sprinkle pretzel pieces into each muffin cup.
- Melt one 4 oz bar of white chocolate in the microwave. Add food coloring and stir. Immediately spoon the white chocolate over the OREO cookies. Add the candy eyeballs.
- Repeat Step 7 with the remaining white chocolate bar.
- Place the muffin pan in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
- Each double chocolate cookie should easily pop out of the pan.
These cookies would be cute served at a Halloween party or child’s birthday party. If cute isn’t your thing, think about the delicious OREO cookie inside paired with the flavor of salty pretzels and chocolate…double chocolate! You’re welcome. 😉
Feel free to pin this recipe to your Halloween or Food Pinterest board: