Love the ocean? Want to add a nautical touch to your home? Well, here are step-by-step instructions on how to make a BEAUTIFUL, homemade seashell mirror!
What You’ll Need:
-A variety of seashells (I used starfish, sand dollars, spiral snail shells, and other multi-colored shells).
-Hot Glue Gun with PLENTY of Glue Sticks
-Scrap Newspaper or something to protect the area you are working on AND your mirror (I got fingerprints on mine while working on it)
–Natural Hemp Rope (or similar)
-A Plain Framed Mirror (similar here)
With me living in gorgeous South Florida, I have access to the sandy beach only 5-10 minutes away. Therefore, all seashells used in my mirror were hand collected; not store bought. The only ones I bought from the Nautical Seashell Store locally were the sand dollars and starfish, only because those are very hard to find whole here.
1) Gather all of your seashells and materials. Lay out your newspaper and mirror on a flat surface. Turn your hot glue gun on so it’s ready to use.
2) I started laying out the seashells on the mirror first to see how I liked it best. There are so many different patterns you could do so be creative with it!
3) I decided to add silver beads to border the inner edge so I glued those on first. I then started gluing the main, larger shells onto the mirror.
4) Once you have the main ones on that you want, start adding the others and layering them. I found it was best to add the bigger shells first and the smaller shells on top to cover space and add fullness to it.
**NOTE: I added the starfish last! I only set them on the mirror while I was making it so I could get an idea what it would look like.
5) Keep layering the seashells until you have covered the whole mirror.
6) To add a more nautical touch, I decided to braid natural hemp rope and border the outside edge of the mirror. Make sure EVERYTHING is sturdy and the glue has a strong hold on all of the seashells so nothing falls off.
Once you’re happy with your mirror, show off your beautiful creation by hanging it up or setting it on a table/mirror stand!! 🙂
Remember, have fun with this and be creative!! If you have ANY questions at all, please feel free to ask by leaving a comment below!