Are you tired of trying expensive treatments on your hair that are just not working?? Well, don’t give up just yet! If you’re like me, you probably use heat styling tools pretty much every day and have a bunch of split ends and dry, damaged hair.
Your hair may even be thinning and you’re freaking out. While you can’t fight genetics, you can work with what you’ve got.
I have spent hours looking up ways to make my hair thicker, healthier, and longer. And now, I’m going to share them with you!
Remember, not all of these treatments will work for each and every one of you since we all have different hair types so if one doesn’t work or you don’t like the results, try something different.
The tips and suggestions I’m about to give you are A LOT cheaper than expensive salon treatments that make your hair feel great for a day but then disappear after that. I’m looking at you deep conditioning salon treatment!
Now, none of these treatments or products will make your hair grow overnight.
Unfortunately, nothing will.
But if you have patience and are up for a bit of experimenting, you’ll have healthy and shiny hair in no time.
Here is a list of the best at-home hair care treatments and other things you can try to get healthy and thick hair.
Moroccan Oil- This can be used for all hair types and solve multiple hair problems. Many consider it the best hair treatment available. Just using this treatment one time, you will see a difference. Your hair will be more manageable, softer and healthier. It has the perfect balance of vitamins and oils. It will help with: frizz, dry and itchy scalp, lifeless hair, brittle hair, and split ends.
2. Aloe Vera- It is said to be one of the most effective hair growth treatments. It will also give your hair a boost. Massage the gel from one aloe leaf into your scalp and leave it on for about an hour. Then, rinse it out with warm water. People have also mixed the aloe vera with honey OR olive oil. For the aloe vera and honey mixture- mix three leaves of aloe with a small amount of honey and apply it over the scalp. Leave it on for 20 minutes and then wash out your hair.
3. Coconut Milk- This will help hair grow long and thick. Massage it onto scalp, leave it on for an hour or so, and then wash it out.
4. All Natural Castor Oil: Improves growth, shine, and strength. Massage it into your scalp at least 1-2 hours before washing your hair. Try to do this at least a few times a week. You can also leave it in overnight once a week for an intensive treatment. Also, some people even put it on their eyebrows and eyelashes and leave it in overnight as well. If you find it too greasy, you can always add it to your conditioner. Can also mix with almond oil.
5. Egg Yolks and Olive Oil Treatment- This will leave your hair softer, shinier, and healthier. Will also help you grow it long. In order to get all of the benefits, mix 2 egg yolks with 2 tbsp. of olive oil, dilute the mixture by adding a half to a cup of water (If you find that is still too much, use no less than 1/3 of a cup), and then slowly and thoroughly massage this mask into your scalp. Give it 15-30 minutes to absorb all of the nutrients and then rinse off with cold or cool water. The effects are immediate and long-lasting and it helps strengthen against breakage. You can also follow this up with a leave-in conditioner. Some people say this treatment doesn’t leave a good smell afterward, so if you have a good shampoo than this can be fixed easily. Use this treatment a couple of times a month.
6. Leave-in hair growth treatment with Rosemary/Rosemary shampoo- It stimulates the scalp, nurtures and strengthens your hair, and leaves it soft. It is also used to fix the problem of thinning hair. Use 2 tsp. of dry crushed rosemary leaves and water (300 ml). Massage this mixture into your hair and scalp. Use it after shampooing. It also doesn’t need to be rinsed out because it is non-greasy and has a light texture. If you prefer, you can also use Rosemary Shampoo.
7. Murad Professional Scalp Treatment Shampoo for Fine Hair- I have heard amazing reviews on this. If you can’t find it in stores, it is on Amazon as well. It fully nourishes and cleanses for healthy hair growth.
8. Deep-conditioning treatment/ Leave-in Conditioner- These are extremely important!! I cannot stress this enough. This is an absolute must if you use heat styling tools frequently, such as a hair dryer or straightening/curling iron. You can use it on a regular basis or whenever you feel that your hair is dry/brittle.
9. Essential/Herbal Oils- These oils will help grow your hair fast, boost shine, strengthen, and add moisture. They can be an alternative to leave-in conditioner but it will not penetrate your hair follicles as well. The herbal oils include olive oil, almond oil, and coconut oil. Apply a few drops of the oil you choose immediately after washing your hair. Once added to wet hair, leave on for at least 5-10 minutes and then rinse off.
10. Biotin- It is a vitamin-B complex and it helps promote the health and growth of your hair, skin, and nails. I’ve been taking Biotin for at least 2-3 months daily and I have seen a dramatic difference in my hair and my nails. My hair grows a little faster and it is thicker than it was. My nails are also a lot stronger. Biotin also helps speed up your metabolism and helps build strong tissues for your nervous system.
11. Prenatal Vitamins- I have read reviews that have said that it helps promote healthy hair and growth. Even if you are not pregnant, you can still take them. If you read the label on one of the bottles, you will be shocked at how filled they are with necessary vitamins and nutrients.
12. Cut down on heat styling tools- When possible, do not blow dry or use any other heat styling tools. Air dry your hair whenever you can! If you cut down, YOU WILL see a difference.
13. Use cool water – It is recommended by every salon that I have gone to, to use cool/cold water on your hair during a shower. If you need/want to, you can also use lukewarm water on your hair but the last rinse should still be with cool water. Hot water will weaken the hair and strip off some of the nutrients that it needs. It can also make the hair fall out at a faster rate. However, using cool water will actually help seal the follicles and also leave your hair shiny and soft.
14. Schedule regular trims- I know people say that if you don’t trim your hair, then your hair will not grow. This is not true. Regular trims will only cut off the dead/split ends before they travel their way up the hair strand. However, less will need to be cut off.
The longer you wait to get your hair trimmed, the more your hair will be damaged and the more they’ll have to cut off.
It is recommended that you get a trim every 6-8 weeks.
To keep your ends protected, be sure to use a leave-in serum. I personally use the TRESemme Split Remedy: Leave-in split end conditioning treatment and I love it. It helps restore your hair and prevent future split ends.
If you have any other tips or comments about any of these that I just listed, please feel free to leave a comment below! 🙂 There is a lot more information that I found so be sure to check out part 2 as well!
**Before taking any new vitamin supplements, consult your physician first. Also, make sure that they will not interfere with any medications or allergies you may have.
**Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with any brands listed nor did I get paid to post this. This is for informational purposes only that I researched for myself and wanted to tell others.