INSTANT POT® IS A REGISTERED TRADEMARK PRODUCT OF INSTANT BRANDS INC., THIS INSTANT POT RECIPE IS NOT SPONSORED, ENDORSED, OR AFFILIATED WITH THE COMPANY. THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS WHICH MEANS WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION SHOULD YOU MAKE A PURCHASE FROM ONE OF OUR LINKS. YOU WON’T PAY ANYTHING EXTRA BUT YOU WILL HELP KEEP THE CONTENT ON THIS SITE FREE. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR SUPPORT.
Skip dinner out and make this Moist + Tasty Instant Pot Short Ribs Recipe instead!
Are you looking for an awesome short ribs recipe that can be made right in your Instant Pot®? Great! You’re in the right place!
Today’s Instant Pot Short Ribs recipe requires about twenty minutes of prep time and ten minutes of natural release time and my oh my, it’s worth every second.
When you eat these ribs, you’ll feel like you’re dining out without the hefty price tag that goes with it. They’re that good!
If this is your first time making short ribs, please note that the meat used for this recipe isn’t actually rib meat. It’s meat from the cow’s shoulder blade.*
*Side note: I’m clarifying the cut and type of meat for those of you that are new to cooking. We’re judgment-free here at winter + sparrow because we’ve all been new cooks at one point in our lives. =)
For your reference:
BONELESS SHORT RIBS
Cut from the chuck, or shoulder, these “ribs” are basically butchered and trimmed chuck roast. (Source)
If you have pork roast on hand, you can certainly try this recipe but I recommend making our Instant Pot Pork Roast Recipe instead.
Before you get ready to make this recipe, read through the entire ingredient list and make sure you have everything on hand.
Read through the recipe instructions at least once before you start.
Use fresh and organic ingredients when possible.
Pair this recipe with mashed potatoes or cauliflower for a tasty side.
These delicious short ribs are moist and tasty and only require about 20 minutes of prep time. Skip the expensive take-out and make these instead!
- 3½ - 4 lbs. beef short ribs
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, sliced into chunks
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- ½ cup beef broth
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- 2 tbsp honey, preferably local
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
1. Remove short ribs from the refrigerator at least 30
minutes, but not more than 2 hours, before cooking. Season generously with salt and black pepper, to taste, and set aside.
2. Select the “Sauté” function on the Instant Pot® and
add one tablespoon olive oil once hot. Add seasoned short ribs and sear on each side, approximately 2-3 minutes per side. (Work in batches, if necessary, adding more olive oil as necessary). Transfer seared ribs to a plate and set aside.
3. Add remaining olive oil, yellow onion, and carrots to
Instant Pot®. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until vegetables become golden brown, approximately 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for another 60 seconds.
4. Pour in broth, balsamic vinegar, red wine, and honey.
Stir to combine, gently scraping any brown bits off the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon in the process. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes before turning the unit off.
5. Return seared short ribs to the pot and add bay leaves
and fresh herbs. Add lid and lock into place. Switch the vent to “Sealing” and set the “Manual” setting to 45 minutes.
6. When cook time is complete, allow pressure to release
naturally for 10 minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure, if necessary.
7. Remove lid and discard the bay leaves and woody stems
from the rosemary and thyme. Carefully transfer short ribs and carrots to a serving platter and cover to keep warm. Set aside.
8. With an immersion blender, blend the pan sauces until
smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired.
9. Serve short ribs and carrots immediately over a bed of
mashed potatoes or cauliflower. Drizzle with some of the sauce and serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Iberia Red Cooking Wine 25.4 fl. oz., Exclusively for Cooking, Full-Strength Wine That Enhance the Flavor of Almost Any Dish
- Alessi - White Balsamic Vinegar, 8.5 oz Pack of 4
- Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
If you make this, be sure to come back and let us know how you liked it. Feel free to tag us on social media too!