Egg rolls are a weakness of mine. I love biting through their crispy fried exterior and getting to all of the fresh meats and veggies inside. It’s like a bite of happiness.
I haven’t eaten anything deep fried, or an egg roll for that matter, in over sixteen months. I’m missing those little bites of happiness. If you’re living the keto life, you’re missing those eggroll bites too.
With today’s recipe, you and I can bring back the eggroll love without the eggroll carbs. By leaving out the fried eggroll wrapper, we end up with keto eggrolls in a bowl that are tasty and super easy to make.
Hungry yet? Me too.
Instead of using a traditional sodium-filled soy sauce, this recipe calls for coconut aminos or tamari. If you’ve never heard of coconut aminos, it’s basically a type of sauce made from coconut palms.
According to eatingwell.com:
The sauce is made from “sap” (actually coconut-blossom nectar) from coconut palms. The sap is fermented and then blended with sea salt. Coconut aminos has 73 percent less sodium than soy sauce.
If you’d prefer to use tamari (instead of coconut aminos), make a mental note that the keto eggrolls will be higher in sodium. If you’d like to learn more about tamari, Dr. Axe has an informative article on his website.
While toasted sesame seeds are listed as optional in this recipe, I definitely recommend adding them if you can eat them. They add a bit of extra flavor and crunch.
Like this recipe but not ready to make it just yet? Pin it to your favorite food board on Pinterest.
- 1¼ lb. spicy bulk pork sausage
- ¼ cup water
- 3 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- ½ tbsp fresh ginger, finely minced
- 2 tbsp green onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos or tamari
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Optional garnish: 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1. Heat a large high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking the meat into small pieces as it cooks, for approximately 5-6 minutes. Once sausage is no longer pink, remove from heat and carefully drain excess grease from pan.
Safety Tip: Wipe off any excess fat that drips down the side of the pan before returning to burner.
2. Return skillet to heat. Add water and scrape up brown bits from the bottom of the pan with a spatula. Reduce heat to medium and add shredded cabbage, carrots, sesame oil, ginger, and green onions. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and cook, stirring frequently, until the cabbage wilts and the carrot softens, approximately 4-5 minutes.
3. Add rice vinegar and coconut aminos and stir to combine. Cook another 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat and transfer to a serving platter or bowl. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds, if using, and serve immediately.
Nutritional Information: *
Total Carbs: 8.38g
Net Carbs: 6.18g
*Source: HappyForks.com recipe analyzer.
Nutritional information provided for informational purposes only and is not to be construed as nutritional advice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
You can find more keto friendly recipes here.
Please tag us on social media if you make this. We’d love to see how your dish turned out!