#advertisement I received compensation from Dr. Scholl’s® to write this post. All opinions are entirely my own. #CustomFitRelief #DrScholls
5 Must-Haves For Leaf Peeping Trips
About five years ago I started posting photos online of the autumn scenery here in Virginia. It’s one of my favorite series here on the blog and I’ve aptly named it “Fall In VA.” Since I started making my annual leaf peeping trips, I’ve learned that there are a few things I need if I want to be comfortable during my venture. Today, I’m sharing my five must-haves for leaf peeping trips.
The weather may be cooler and the leaves may be dressed in blazing oranges, rustic reds, and vibrant yellows but that doesn’t mean you’re shielded from the effects of the sun. The sun emits harmful UV rays year-round and 95% of the UV radiation that we are exposed to is UVA◊. Whether you’re fair skinned like me or olive toned, always wear your sunscreen.
- Layers of Clothing
Whenever I’m out exploring the autumn landscape, I tend to lose track of time. I’ve been known to spend four to five hours photographing the Virginia landscape. During that period of time, the temperature usually changes and I may find myself chilly or hot. To solve both the chilly and hot problem, I always wear layers of clothing. For example, I may wear a long-sleeved shirt with a jacket. If I get too hot, I can remove the jacket. If I get too cold, I can add the scarf and gloves that I always carry with me in my camera bag.
- Comfortable shoes
Leaf peeping is fun but after an hour or two, you may start to experience lower back or foot pain. If you have comfortable shoes, wear them. If you’re still not sure if those comfy shoes will provide enough support or you’re like me and you want to wear the cute boots, invest in a pair of Dr. Scholl’s® Custom Fit® Orthotics.
You’ve probably walked past this kiosk many times but never paid too much attention to it.
I know that I was guilty of this up until a few weeks ago. While at my local Walmart one weekend, I decided to give the Custom Fit® kiosk a try (the kiosk was located right by the pharmacy). If you’re not sure where your local Custom Fit® Kiosk is, you can locate one by clicking here.
Once I stepped on the kiosk mat, the FootMapping® technology identified my arch type, foot length, and pressure points in under two minutes. The kiosk works quickly and accurately by using over 2,000 pressure sensors to create a Custom Footmap. Once the Custom Fit® kiosk evaluates your data, it recommends the Custom Fit® Orthotic Inserts that are right for you.
It may sound complicated but getting your Custom Footmap is actually quite simple. Here’s what happens at the Custom Fit® kiosk:
- Remove your shoes, step on the mat, and touch the screen to begin.
- Make sure your feet are within the footprint outlines on the mat.
- Hold still while the kiosk measures the length of your feet.
4. Place your hands on the black bar in front of you and lift your left foot off the mat.
5. Watch the prompts on the screen as it will tell you when to set your left foot down and raise your right foot.
6. Wait a few seconds while the Custom Fit® kiosk uses Footmapping® technology to configure your pressure points, foot characteristics, and pressure profile.
7. Watch the screen for your Dr. Scholl’s® Custom Fit® Orthotic Inserts recommendation.
8. The kiosk informed me that I have standard arches and a standard level of foot pressure. It’s nice to know that something about me is standard! 😉
9. The Custom Fit® kiosk gives me additional information about the Dr. Scholl’s® Custom Fit® Orthotic Inserts it recommended.
10. With a few taps on the screen, I learned that Custom Fit® Orthotics are comprised of four layers and each layer provides a different benefit. Together, these layers provide support and cushioning which will help relieve foot and lower body pain and provide us with all-day comfort.
11. I found the recommended inserts (CF130) on the display rack next to the Custom Fit® kiosk.
Done and done within two minutes!
If you want to give the Dr. Scholl’s® Custom Fit® Orthotics a try, please know that they come with a money back guarantee. I love companies that stand behind their products like this, don’t you? In addition, you can take advantage of a $10 savings after purchase by using the Custom Fit® Online Rebate Center.
So you probably want to know if the Dr. Scholl’s® Custom Fit® Orthotic Inserts helped my foot, knee, and back pain during a recent outdoor trip? You betcha! The inserts turned my cute-but-not-comfy-boots into both cute and comfy!
Okay, let’s get back to the leaf-peeping must-haves:
4. A cellphone
Yes, you can take pictures with your cell phone but for leaf peeping trips, it serves as a lifeline in case of emergency. If you get lost, fall, or have a medical emergency, that cell phone is going to allow you to reach out for help.
We all know that the human body needs water to stay alive but did you know that during the fall and winter months we may not feel as thirsty as we normally do? In addition, because the air is typically drier in the cool weather months, our bodies lose moisture faster than normal through our breathing. What does this all mean? Drink water throughout your leaf peeping venture to ward off dehydration.
To remind myself that I need to drink, drink, drink, and to make things a bit fun, I made these cute water bottle labels.
Aren’t they fun? You can download them for free below. Once you’ve printed the labels, cut them out and secure to your water bottle with a piece of tape or dot of glue (the watermark won’t be on your downloaded copy).
Now that you know what you need for your leaf-peeping trip, it’s time to get on out there and enjoy the splendor of fall!
P.S. Don’t forget to try Custom Fit® Orthotics so you can get all day pain relief for foot, knee, or lower back pain from being on your feet, so you can keep moving!
What leaf peeping must-have is on your list? Tell me in the comments section.