Forty hour work weeks that turn out to be sixty.
Making a third visit to the grocery store this week because you’re out of milk again.
Three piles of laundry that turn into Mount Rushmore.
Snotty noses. Dirty diapers. Answering “why?” for the 50th time that day.
Our lives are filled with duties and responsibilities and busyness that can leave us feeling empty.
We wonder where that person went who wanted to start their own business. We cringe at the thought of not having a college degree.
We keep listening to that little voice that tells us not to even bother because we’ll probably fail.
We bargain with our time.
We tell ourselves that once the kids are grown, once the debt’s paid off, once we live in a different neighborhood, we’ll make changes.
Every day we do what needs to be done. We change diapers, work a nine to five, cook dinner, and drive that kid to soccer practice. We are nurturers and sustainers of life.
But in our quest to take care of others, we often lose part of ourselves. We put our dreams on hold. We sacrifice sleep and time and energy to nurture and care for others.
It’s noble and rewarding and important work but…
What about us? How long do we let our soul cry out for more? How long do we suppress our dreams and desires? How long do we flounder in the unfulfilled zone?
If we don’t reach for our dreams now, while we’re alive, then when?
Tomorrow is not promised so let’s make it happen.
Change the diapers and then jot down your business plan. Even if you have to hide in the bathroom.
Find universities that will let you earn your degree online. You’re sacrificing sleep for others. Why not sacrifice a bit more for yourself?
Don’t think you can make it happen alone?
Reach out to your friends, your family, your peers and ask for help but whatever you do,
don’t let fear convince you can’t.
11 Motivational and Inspirational Quotes To Help You Make It Happen
1.“Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.”
3. “Everything in nature invites us constantly to be what we are.”
5. “The sun rises each morning to shed light on the things we may have overlooked the day before.”
6. “If you want to be happy, be.”
7. “If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”
8. “Waves of positivity and possibilities send tiny ripples of hope to wash away the walls of negativity.”
9. “One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful.”
10. “Happiness is a choice you make when you allow faith through the entry gate and fear through the exit gate.”
My personal favorite:
11. “If you are breathing, you are still alive. If you are alive, then you are still here, physically, on this planet. If you are still here, then you have not completed what you were put on earth to do. If you have not completed what you were put on earth to do … that means your very purpose has not yet been fulfilled. If your purpose has not yet been fulfilled, then the most important part of your life has not yet been lived.”
If you don’t think I’ve been there, caught between life and my dreams, let me remind you that I earned my Bachelor’s degree and two Master’s degrees as a single, working parent. I wanted my dream career so bad that my heart ached until I achieved it.
How bad do you want it?