It’s getting hot up in this joint which means it’s time for summer vacations, ice cream, pool parties, and cool refreshing drinks!
Whenever people come over to my house, I feel like I serve the same drink recipes over and over. Since it’s always fun to try something new, I mixed up a pitcher of this Zesty Lemon Spritzer for my neighbors and they both declared it tasty and refreshing.
Entertaining friends and family should be easy, carefree, and fun which is why I’m giving you a drink recipe to add to your drink rotation.
Actually, this is the first in a series of summer cocktail ideas.
Summer Cocktail Ideas
One of the great features of this Zesty Lemon Spritzer is that you can make it with or without alcohol and it tastes great either way (although a certain person who shall remain nameless only likes it with alcohol, lol).
And if you’re home with the kids this summer and they’re about to get on your last nerve, mix up a pitcher of this, invite a friend over, and tell the kids to get busy with an activity from our cheap summer fun list.
Next, take a few sips, a deep breath, and soak in the summer sunshine.
Oh, and if it helps, imagine you’re in Fiji or Hawaii. ?
A few ingredient notes:
This recipe calls for fresh lemon juice and lemon zest, fresh mint, fresh basil, and good quality honey. Make sure you don’t substitute concentrated lemon juice or this will not taste good at all. I cannot stress the importance of using fresh herbs enough since they are what gives this drink it’s zest.
Bottom line: use the freshest herbs you can.
- 2 tablespoons honey, preferably local
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, washed and torn into pieces
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, washed and torn into pieces
- 2 tsp fresh lemon zest, preferably organic
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 2 tsp ginger, finely minced
- 1 large lemon, thinly sliced
- 2 cups sparkling water
- Optional Adults-Only Version:
- 4 oz. vodka
- Add honey and water to a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir frequently until honey dissolves.
- Remove from heat and cool for 5-10 minutes before pouring into a pitcher. Add fresh lemon juice, fresh herbs, ginger, and lemon slices.
- Add vodka, if using, and stir gently to combine and place in the refrigerator to chill.
- Immediately before serving, pour sparkling water into pitcher and stir to combine. Pour into glasses filled with ice and serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cheers to a happy, healthy, and entertaining summer my friends!
What’s your favorite summer cocktail?